布兰卡和我爱上了葡超我们的旅程的过程. 这是很容易坠入爱河, 尤其是里斯本. 每一个 在里斯本的街区 有自己的精神, 该 葡萄牙咖啡是不可思议, 该 生活在葡萄牙的成本 低, and the people here are wonderful. We started coming here 6 几年前，似乎每一个我们的3个月的旅游签证到期时间, we wanted to stay. On the last trip back to 新呦RK, I leaned over to Blanca and said:
“Let’s just make Lisbon our home and stop this leaving every 90 days.”
She agreed and we decided to begin the process for a residency visa. It’s not a fun process but once it’s done and you pass your interview you are eligible to stay in Portugal for a year. So, 这是完全值得的.
I decided to put together a quick guide on how to get residency in Portugal. The 葡萄牙申根居留签证 is by far the easiest way to stay in Portugal. This is specifically for Americans who are looking to relocate to Portugal. I am not familiar with the process for those making the move from other countries but I am sure some of this process can help if you are not coming from the US.
您可以使用本指南，看看我们的过程中，有经验，但知道这个过程的变化，不时. If it does I will attempt to update this blog post. You can always follow our 完整的生活指南葡萄牙 to get other ideas on how to do basic stuff in the country. It is growing daily.
因此，与自由运动, you do not have to leave Europe every 90-days. You also get to begin the process towards EU citizenship.
-Pay the related fees (I will break those down later)
Who can apply?
– Independent living
– Startup owners or small business owners
– Investors (If you invest €500,000 you can be eligible for the Golden Visa Program)
– To establish themselves as independent professionals in their field
How Much Does the Portugal D7 Residency Visa Cost?
对于D7居留签证总费用为我们两个是关于 $256 ($128 each), 加 $50 for an FBI background check and €158 each for the residency card We also paid $70 一种用于督办服务，准确的生物识别技术 加快背景调查 and €60 to the US Embassy in Lisbon to get my fingerprints. Worth every penny. We have some logical stuff like printing, getting notaries (You can get stuff 公证在线). 总之，我们每个人支付了约 $600 一切.
How Long Does the FBI Background Check Take?
如果直接将请求发送到联邦调查局, 它需要 4 months. If you pay the $70 加快所花费的过程 3 days. So, it’s a no-brainer, expedite the background check so you don’t waste time.
How to Apply Online for your Portugal D7 Residency Visa
我们与在线应用 Portuguese Consulate in Newark which is our local consulate. This was our local one since we reside in NJ. You have to go to the embassy associated with your main mailing address. You can see the 这里列出来识别领事馆 将是最适合你.
我们不得不等待 2 months for our appointment since the embassy was pretty booked (Portugal is quite popular now). Once you go in for your appointment they legally have 30-days to approve or reject you. We literally got it on day 30. So assume that it will be 3-months for the whole process.
What you need to bring to the Portugal D7 Residency Visa appointment:
– 对于已完成的应用程序 申根签证
– 报名费: $96 Money order (payable to the Consulate General of Portugal)
– 健康保险的证明 – You must have a minimum of €30,000 coverage.
– 资金证明: You can bring your 401k or bank account or investment account. To be eligible, 你必须让国外收入或退休金总额为€6,684的 1 成人, €3342欧元的第二成人, and €2,005 per kid. This changes so it’s probably higher now. 您必须提供银行对账单的6个月.
– One (45mm x 35mm) 在白色背景的彩色大头照 – You have to have a normal face no smile. Mine looks like crap.
– FBI犯罪记录证明与加注 (To receive this you have to send the FBI a notarize fingerprints. You can go to your local police precinct they will do it for you for a small fee. We went to the US Embassy. If you google around there are companies that will do it also for you. Also, 注意，这仅适用于 90-天. So best bet is to get your appointment with the consulate first then once you have a date get the fingerprints.)
– 你的主护照首页复印件 – The one with the photo and your numbers and stuff. I just copied all just in case.
– 孩子的出生证明，如果你是一个孩子去 – If they are under 15 they don’t need an FBI background check. Lucky them!
– 经过公证的个人陈述 – This pretty much is a letter saying why you want to move to Portugal. Keep it short and to the point. Ours said that we loved the country, wanted to learn the language (taking classes twice a week now), 我运行一个启动和有一天，我想在葡萄牙购买房产
– 住房，而在葡萄牙的证明 – We booked a hotel, but this is no longer acceptable. The new requirement is that you have a 6-month lease that is registered at the AT (it’s the equivalent of the IRS). This will make things more challenging as most Portuguese people won’t do short-term leases. It’s doable but challenging.
– 飞行葡萄牙证明 – This one was tricky we had to make an assumption when we would get approved. So we set our flight exactly 40 我们在领事馆面谈天后.
当一天 30 hits you will receive an email with instructions for you to the consulate for them to give you a sticker which will go on your passport allowing you 3-months in Portugal. This sticker will give you a certain amount of exits from Schengen area. We only got two. So in the 3-months, 你不能走 申根区 比什么是允许更多.
Once we got the approval we flew to Portugal and began setting up our lives. One of the important things is you must call the SEF (Serviço De Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) in your city and make another appointment for the second extension. If you are in Lisbon you call +351 808 202 653. When you call, 听整个消息, then press 2. They will have someone who will speak English. Expect to spend 60 minutes on the phone – minimum.
当我们到达现场讲英语的人, we told them we had the 3-month visa and that we wanted to get the full 1-year residency visa. The woman on the phone then gave us an appointment. Some of our friends who went to a lawyer to do this got an appointment in 3 weeks. We did it ourselves and the appointment was 6 months later. Crazy, I know. Just know you are allowed to stay in Schengen while you wait for your appointment. So don’t freak out.
在手机上的人会询问您的电子邮件. You will get an email from the SEF with the time and date of your appointment. I would print it out and save a screenshot on your phone. In Portugal, print out and copy everything – this will make your life easier. They are paper obsessed. Even if you don’t think you need something, 把它反正.
You will need to get a NIF (Portuguese tax number), 一个银行账户, and the NHR status (Non-Habitual Resident..aka not a tax resident so you don’t get double taxed). I will write the process to get both on another blog. All these are easy to do, 但也很容易陷入困境.
当你去你的下一个约会, bring all the paperwork you have. Not the fingerprints but everything else. Also, bring Euros with you to pay the €158 fee. Then they will mail you your residence card in a few weeks. That’s it, 你是一个居民.
在您获得批准, you will have to renew after a year. The next renewal will give you 2-years. Then next one after that is for another 2-years. Once you are in Portugal as a resident of 5-years, you can begin the EU citizenship process or apply to be a Permanent resident. Just note you will probably have to speak Level 1 葡萄牙通过公民考试.
To reiterate the process:
- Get an appointment with your local consulate
- Print out all documents (Application, 银行对帐单, Personal Letter)
- Within 4-months set up the next appointment with SEF
How long is the visa process from start to finish?
对我来说，这是约10个月，因为我是旅行，所以我需要得到指纹, 证件, 出差回来到美国, 去约会, 然后来到葡萄牙, 使部分预约, 等待 6 months because it was only one they had then go into my final appointment. My FBI background check (valid for 3-months) had expired so I had to get it done again, 让我放慢了一些.
How long was the Portuguese visa process once I handed in my paperwork to the consulate?
From what I understand by EU law it has to be processed in 30-days. So literally on day 30, 我收到一封电子邮件，说来领事馆和接收我的签证延期.
Do I have to give them my passport during the process?
No. You just need to make copies of the main pages of your passport during the process. We did leave the passport in Newark with them for 1-day so they could put the stamp on it. They were busy and we didn’t want to wait for 8-hours in the waiting area. We came in next day and a shiny new stamp was on the passport.
How much money do I need to be eligible for the visa?
初始费用外，您需要一定量的储蓄来维持你的1年签证, for Portugal it’s €75 for entry and exit the country and 40€ per day. So about €14,600. But you can have that in credit cards, 银行账户或退休基金.
How much health insurance coverage do I need for the Schengen visa?
You need insurance for minimum coverage of €30,000 ($50,000). We got ours by Cigna. When you come to Portugal and get your NIF there are much 便宜的葡萄牙医疗保险方案.
So that’s it. The process is pretty easy, but to get all the paperwork together and go through the “hoops” you have to have a lot of patience and 记得打印一切. Dealing with the consulate in the US is great. Nice people and very helpful. I wish you good luck in your residency process. Enjoy Portugal.
Portuguese D7 Visa Renewal Appointments
I will be updating these after going to them.
- 1st D7 Visa Appointment (must be scheduled as soon as you arrive in Portugal, gives you 1 year to stay in Portugal)
- 2nd D7 Visa Appointment(must be scheduled about 3 months after you get your extension, gives you 2 more years to stay in Portugal)
P.S. – have questions? Ask us in the comments. Either Blanca or I will get back to you…but keep in mind IANAL and neither is Blanca – so just use this as a guide to help you get started.
P.P.S. – I wanted to give a shout out to Dr. 周香, Dr. 亚历克西斯盾牌和惊人的女士. 瑞秋马扎. All really helped me understand the nuances of the process. Without them, 我会一直失去数百个在线论坛, 保持与官僚机构，当然还有可怕的废话政府网站.