I have been thinking about starting to play golf. Antonio, my better half, was the captain of his golf team in high school and is incredibly good at sports, so I knew I would have a great teacher and we both figured this would be a great way to get some quality time together. In this living post, I will be journaling my golf adventures, as well as giving you some important basic information such as where to play golf in Lisbon, where to pick up your golf gear in Lisbon and tons more. Let us start with the basics…but before we do, two things:
- As I mentioned, I am a golf newbie…so if you have advice for me and all the people who want to play golf near Lisbon, don’t be shy and leave us your tip in the comments below.
- If you’re new to the city (or new to golf) and have questions about golf in Lisboa, ask in the comments area below. I’ve got friends who work in the golf industry, friends who are avid players, and I’m always happy to do a little research (particularly since it will help me tons in this area), so ask away.
Where to Buy Golf Clubs in Lisbon?
There are some great stores to buy golf clubs in Lisbon. Both Antonio and I were starting brand new since he gave his clubs away to a friend when we made the move to Lisbon and I had never played before. This meant we needed to buy not only golf clubs; but also golf bags, carts, shoes, gloves, balls, and tees. This is a list of stores where you can buy all your golf supplies in Lisbon:
This is where we ended up buying our golf clubs. They have stores throughout Portugal, one in Lisbon (very close to our home) and 4 in the area. The store also has a loyalty program where each Euro you spend gets you points. After we were done, I had enough points to take a few free lessons, so that was a plus. I like their service..AND…we purchased our golf clubs during their Summer sale, so we saved €60 in total. And my golf shoes only cost €7. Oh, and the clubs we wanted were not in stock, so they ordered them and had them brought to the store in just a few days.
Buy Golf Equipment At the Golf Courses
Ok, I know this may be a little inconvenient, but you can also purchase your golf equipment at the golf clubs near Lisbon. For our first outing to the driving range, we went to Jamor and they had a nice selection, although the prices there were more expensive than those at Decathlon.
Where to Play Golf in Lisbon?
Before you go anywhere, you need to join the Federação Portuguesa de Golfe. It’s not too expensive, only 60€ per year per person, but Members of the Portuguese Golf Federation get a ton of perks including discounts at a bunch of golf courses in the state of Lisbon…while I am at it, I may as well list them with their approximate travel times by car from Lisbon:
List of Golf Courses Near Lisbon
- Aroeira I e II (Quinta do Conde – 45 minutes away)
- Belas Clube de Campo (Alameda do Aqueduto – 30 minutes away)
- Campo de Golfe do Jamor (Alges – 15 minutes away)
- Campo de Golfe Quinta Marinha (Cascais – 35 minutes)
- Campo Real (Turcifal – 40 minutes)
- Golf Aldeia dos Capuchos (Caparica – 25 minutes)
- Golf Estoril (Estoril – 22 minutes)
- Lisbon Sports Club (Belas – 30minutes)
- Montado Golf Resort (Palmela – 50 minutes)
- Oeiras Golf (Oeiras – 30 minutes)
- Oitavos Dunes Natural Links (Cascais- 40 minutes)
- Paço do Lumiar Clube de Golfe (Lumiar – 20 minutes)
- Penha Longa Atlantic Championship (Sintra – 35 minutes)
- Pestana Beloura Golf (Sintra – 35 minutes)
- Praia del Rey Golf (Vale das Janelas – 1 hour 20 minutes)
- Quinta do Peru & Country Club (Azeitão – 45 minutes)
- Ribagolfe I & II (Quinta do Conde – 45 minutes away)
- Troia Golf (Tróia – 1 hour 40 minutes & you have to take a boat from Setubal)
You also get discounts at other golf courses throughout the country and some random perks like 15% off car rentals at Europcar, Amazonia Hotels, and a bunch more stuff. Check regularly, because I am certain these change from time to time. In my honest opinion, this is one of the best Lisbon golf packages out there.
Where to Play Golf in Lisbon if You’re A Newbie Like Me
Jamor is “the” place for newbies. My friend Rodrigo, a golf writer was the first to recommend Jamor as a place for a golf novice like me to start learning. Soon after, others started to do the same. So this is where I went to hit my first few balls. As I try out other courses, I’ll let you know what I think. I will also ask Antonio to update this post with the golf courses he feels are better suited for more experienced players. So, stay tuned.
How Much Does It Cost to Play Golf in Lisbon?
Golf in the states is pretty darn expensive. Here in Portugal, in the Lisbon area, it can be too. The good thing is that Lisbon golf courses green fees aren’t always extravagant, you just have to pick where you go and splurge when you want to. Here are a few example prices to give you an idea as to how much it will cost you to play golf in Lisbon.
Driving Range Prices
Jamor: Free entry, 2€ per bucket of 50 balls.