There are people moving to Lisbon from all over the world. I’m Colombo-American, Antonio is Dominican-Cuban-Colombian, and we have friends from France, Spain, Mexico, Japan all living here. I think that we all long for our hometowns from time to time and the easiest way to alleviate saudade for the homeland is food. Sorte para nós, this influx of immigrants to Lisbon from all over the world means that there are plenty of international stores popping up. I’ve decided to set up a list, not only to help us all cure the longing for “home”, but also because I love to cook. Afinal, FriendsEAT is my child…and I love making all sorts of international recipes.
BTW – I just started this post today, so be patient as I keep updating it. And if you are looking for food from a particular country, ask me in the comments so I can prioritize that one (and let you know at the same time).
International Food Stores in Lisbon in Alphabetical Order by Country
American Stores In Lisbon
There are a few of these and some of them are combined into International stores. Those that sell American goods mixed with goods from other countries will go into their own separate category.
Liberty Store – Avenidas Novas
This is IMHO the best American store. They have everything from:
- pop Tarts
- All kinds of cereals like Great Grains, Froot Loops, Amuletos da sorte
- Quaker Oats
- Sweet & Low and Splenda
- Adirondac, Arizona teas, Country Time Lemonade, Hawaiian Punch, and Cranberry Juice
- Ritz cookies, Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker cake mixes, Oreos (these are not too hard to find in Lisbon), and Chips Ahoy.
- Skippy, Jiff peanut butters, penugem, Smuckers jams.
- Bush’s Baked Beans
- Pumpkin Puree (I make my own – if you want the recipe just ask).
- Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth’s
- Chef Boyardee, Kraft Mac & Cheese
- você começa a essência.
Colombian Stores In Lisbon
Fatias de Cristal – Olivais
Fatias de Cristal is not only a Colombian store. It’s also a Venezuelan store. I consider us to be basically the same peoples…from two insanely messed up countries whose people somehow stay strong through all the crap. Anyway, I digress. At this Colombian store located in Olivais near Lisbon’s airport you can get all sort of things like:
- Hoja de Platano
- El Chichero
- Ron Viejo de Caldas & Aguardiente Antioqueno
- Galleta Marilu
- Goya Products
- Papa criolla
- and much more.
Fatias de Cristal is located at Rua Cidade da Beira 68 H, Olivais, Lisboa. The easiest way to get there is to take an Uber.
Japanese Stores in Lisbon
Japanese Shop Goyo-Ya – Avenidas Novas
I also love Japanese food. Lucky for me that there are some really good Japanese restaurants in Lisbon (Go Juu and Afuri are two I highly recommend). Dito isto, if you want to cook up some delicious Japanese food or get some Sake, this tiny shop in Avenidas Novas is a great place to find Japanese food in Lisbon. Here is a list of some of the Japanese goods and brands you can get here:
- Hachibo Instant Curry
- Shark Skin Cheese
- Jugenmai Kurozu Vinegar
- Kirimochi, gishimochi and marumochi
- Maruman Morokyu Miso
- Masamoto knives
- Amazake rice drinks
- Mochi of all kinds
- All types of soy sauce (the good stuff)
- All types of ramen, udon, and yakisoba
- Japanese beef
- Japanese beer like Sapporo and Iki
- Real wasabi
- And tons more
Goyo-Ya is located at
Rua Filipe Folque 30 D Lisbon. You can easily get there by taking the metro to Saldanha or Sao Sebastiao and taking a short walk.
Mexican Stores In Lisbon
Pinche Mercado – Sao Bento
I LOVE Mexican food. Dito isto, most Mexican restaurants in Lisbon are not up to par or are just too damn expensive. Mexican food should always be affordable. That means I usually end up making Mexican recipes at home all the time. That means I need supplies and this is a great place for it. At Pinche Mercado, you can get all sorts of Mexican products in Lisbon including:
- Mole (and mole verde) from Dona Chonita
- La Morena brand chiles (jalapeno, chipotles, etc)
- La Costena brand serranos, salsa, and huitlacoches.
- Cholula sauces
- Herdez brand flor de calabaza, salsa taquera, etc.
- Mayordomo moles
- Salsa Valentina, Bufalo, El Yucateca
- Cocina Mestiza Products
- Jarritos sodas and tons more.
Pinche Mercado is located at R. Poiais de São Bento 49, 1200-109 Lisboa. Você pode tomar a 727 ou 706 bus, walk or Uber it there.