Can you do the Exchange after you have a Residence Visa but have not had your SEF meeting, although ours is scheduled for mid-March? I’ve heard that, in place of a Driving Record report apostilled by the Secretary of State, I could send my Driving Record to the Consulate in San Francisco for translation and that would suffice for the IMt. Is this true?
I you will need to have your physical residency card in order to exchange your driver’s license, so you will have to do this right after your first SEF appointment. I outlined the process in this post https://blancavalbuena.com/how-to-change-your-us-drivers-license-to-a-portuguese-license/
Below is a list of the documents you will need in order to exchange your US driver’s license for a Portuguese one.
- The original license (must be valid and permanent)
- Your residency card
- Your NIF (Fiscal Identification Number) – this will be on your residency card.
- An Electronic Medical Certificate (you can get it from your Portuguese doctor)
- A psychological assessment (also get that from your doctor)
- A declaration issued by the issuing authority or diplomatic or consular authority attesting to the authenticity of the driving title, the date of issue and its validity, the categories of vehicles to which it is entitled, their dates and restrictions, and obtained by passing a driving test.
Hope this puts you on the right path.
Please login or Register to submit your answer