You can thank the Beach Boys for my trip to the Florida Keys, specifically Islamorada & Key West. As a kid, my parents would pack up the kids in the car and force us to go to Pennsylvania to visit family. As we made the drive to visit “The Diner” (yes, there were Greeks in my family through marriage…and yes, there were diners) we’d listen to the Beach Boys and I’d imagine heading to the Florida Keys instead of boring, quiet, cold, snowy Pennsylvania. Eu só desejo que naquela época nós que vão para o calor e que eu tinha essas dicas Flórida viagens para Key. Eu acho que eu teria me diverti muito mais.
Flórida Dicas de Viagem Chaves
Islamorada was cute. It was significantly quieter than Key West. Enquanto não há muito o que fazer vida noturna sábio em Islamorada, há muito o que fazer durante o dia. We rented bikes from the resort and did quite a lot of riding. I recommend you bring a hat. The Florida heat is unforgiving and a hat & some sunscreen will protect you from wrinkles and skin cancer. We did plenty of swimming. The water in Islamorada was very calm and I was pleased to see fish swimming with me (if there are no fish swimming in your water, perhaps you should not swim there either). There were some decent restaurants, nothing out of this world, but nothing horrid either.
Once you get bored of the calm of Islamorada, head to Key West, it is quite a lively town. The architecture and homes are decorated in pastel colors and carved wood work. There are chickens running all over the place. Você verá mama frango tentando proteger seus filhotes do apanhador de frango com bastante frequência. Eles chegaram em Key West com os cubanos que veio no final de 1800. They used a special breed that was crossed with a Filipino breed known for its aggressiveness and used them in cockfights. Cockfighting foi proibida na década de 70, and the chickens & their mates were put out on the streets. I found them to be quite charming. There are tons of restaurants, stores, and clubs for you to visit. If you head to Key West, Eu recomendo que você alugar um hotel. Você não vai querer ir para casa uma vez que o partido é iniciada. And BTW – if you are a homophobe, I’ve got two suggestions for you: skip Key West or get over it. É meio tarde agora que ser tão intolerante. Há um muito grande, very active LGBT community in Key West. Eles manter a festa e se você tiver sorte, você será convidado.
What to do in the Florida Keys?
- Go Island Hopping – heck, there are 1700 islands in the Florida Keys, some of them are quite small, but you can still pick some of the major ones and check out each one.
- Fishing – For this check out Islamorada, it is considered to be the “sportfishing capital of the world”. You can also check out Key West and Marathon.
- Diving – Key Largo is home to the 3rd largest & only living coral reef in the continental United States.
- Kayaking – Lots of spots to do this. Some are better than others. Make sure to bring a water proof camera. Você vai ver toneladas de vida marinha.
- Party like you’re back in college – A cena da festa em Key West é incrível. People drink on the street, music blares, and people have a grand old time. Você vai querer verificar para fora Duval Street. If you happen to be a homophobe, get over it. Key West has a rather large LBGT community & they keep the party going on and fabulous.
- Check out Nature – Schedule a trip to Dry Tortugas National Park. Just $5 gets you in for 7 days. You can sail, go camping, kayaking, fishing…
- Meet Chucky – Yup, if you head to East Martello Tower you can meet the doll that inspired the character of Chucky.
- Key West Lighthouse –Work on those buns of steel as you head up 88 steps to get a lovely view of the city.
- Hemingway House –This was one of my favorite spots. A casa é lindo e você pode realmente ver como a vida de Hemingway é refletida em sua escrita.
- Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park – One of the least crowded spots in Key West, and one of the prettiest. You can check out the remains of the fort walls, take pictures of gorgeous butterflies, and swim in the best beack in Key West.
- Dolphin Watching – Stay out of the water parks (dolphins and other marine life is not meant to be enclosed for your enjoyment). Instead, grab one of the cruises and check out dolphins in their natural environment. Besides, the pictures will be way better.
Onde ficar na Florida Keys
Eu escolhi oPines & Palms Resortporque tinha cozinhas e porque foi situado tipo de no meio das chaves. This was in the days before Airbnb, but it was nice overall. There were a few snafus, but nothing the staff did not handle. The kitchens worked perfectly and the rooms were clean. What I most enjoyed about the place was the nature. It was right on the water, which meant I could “hunt” for sea life on a daily basis. There was also a resident Egret who made his way over whenever we were using the grill. He was kinda fun. Here’s a breakdown of the amenities:
- Heated Swimming Pool – fine, except it seemed at the times locals (or maybe an employee’s family, or maybe a guest’s family) were sneaking in. This included a baby in diapers. We let management know, which meant no pool while they cleaned it (and no pool after, I was kinda grossed out).
- Complimentary wireless – worked well enough for us to run our internet business
- Free Boat Dockage – no boat, não usar
- Fishing and Swimming Piers – This was great, the water was warm, calm, and a pleasure to swim in
- Sandy Sunning Beach with lounge chairs
- Pool Bar – there really wasn’t a pool bar. At least not on a daily basis. Could be because the resort was pretty quiet when we were there
- Barbecue Grills delivered to your room upon request – took full advantage of this.
- Kitchens – in every room ours worked great and had all the basics
- Kayaks and Bikes – used them both and had a great time doing so
Como chegar a Florida Keys
- Planes: Fly to Miami. From there, you can grab a commuter plane to either Marathon Bay or Key West International.
- Car: Hop on the US 1 from Miami. É um muito bom passeio a menos que você bateu o tráfego.
- Bus: Greyhound offers bus trips to the Keys with stops in Big Pine Key, Key West, and Marathon.
- Ferry: There are various choices that will take you from Fort Myers to Key West. The trips take about 3 hours.
***Caso você esteja se perguntando sobre o pobre rapaz pouco, he must have gotten hit by a car or something. We found him already decomposing on the road and I could not resist taking a picture. I thought he was an interesting subject.
Should you go to the Florida Keys?
Sure, why not. É a maneira mais barata do que indo para dizer a França ou até mesmo as ilhas do Caribe. It can be a good vacay for a family (if you stay in Islamorada), or if you like to walk on the wild side (Key West).